This is my favourite granola recipe. I would make it for the delicious aroma of it toasting in the oven alone! But it tastes as good as it smells, in fact it tastes so good I could snack on it...let's be honest I DO snack on it!!
You will need:
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup walnuts (not pictured)
1 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 cup dried fruit - I like to use a mix of my favourites, cranberries, golden raisins, dried apricots, dried papaya, dried pineapple
1/3 cup vegetable/canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
Heat the oven to 325F
1. Mix together the oats, nuts (chopping up the nuts if they are whole) and seeds in a large bowl.
2. In a saucepan over a low heat melt together the oil, honey and sugar. Once melted pour over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Put a piece of parchment paper on a baking tray and spread the oat mix over in a thin layer. You may need two baking trays, there is a lot of granola!
4. Bake for ten minutes then carefully stir the oats so they toast evenly. Return to the oven for another five minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, add the dried fruits, break up any large chunks. Store in an airtight container.
Chopping the whole hazelnuts before adding them to the the oats.
Looks good enough to eat...as it is...by the spoonful...yummy!
I like plain low fat yogurt with my granola, I know there's a jug of milk in the photo, I went to the fridge and the only yogurt to be had was lovely husbands strawberry - blah! I'm going to try a recipe I have for granola bars using it too.
Let's make this a healthy virtual chocolate post today. These look perfect to accompany a bowl of granola!
image from Pastry Affair